Friday, September 21, 2007

Weekly Fanboy Update #2

I'll spare you my rant about how much garbage the schools make kids carry around in their backpacks these days. But I picked up my son's backpack the other day and I swear I nearly ripped my arm out of the socket - now I know how a droid that beats a Wookie at holographic chess feels!

It's cool that they are teaching fifth-graders brick-laying, judging by the weight of it, but give the kids a locker! We're raising a nation of hunchbacked Ugnaughts!

Why, in my day we had our Mead Trapper Keeper, a couple of pencils, our Manimal lunchbox (which some of us wisely never threw away and have proudly displayed and preserved in C9+ condition, thankyouverymuch) and that was pretty much it.

Sorry - I said I'd spare you my rant. I have failed you.

Anyhow, as long as we're on the subject of backpacks and Wookies, the surprise gift I ordered my son finally arrived!


Well, my excitement was short-lived. I'd been building up the suspense for weeks now, telling him that I had ordered him the "coolest thing ever made" and that it was something he could use every day! But he took one look at it and said it would get him beat up at school.
Perhaps he's too young to understand that nothing says "lay off!" to the bullies better than a Chewbacca on your back. But he was disappointed in the backpack, and I was disappointed in him being disappointed, and it was just a big ugly Cantina scene all around. I must admit that it's partially my fault for not realizing that not every kid will get as excited about school supplies as I used to.

Anyhow. I will put this away for now, and keep it well-preserved in plastic until he's ready for it and has the maturity to appreciate it. Who knows? In four years he'll be in high school!

No comments: