Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Lame Halloween Costume #1

Yay! October! It's that magical time of year to go looking for Halloween costumes for the kids, often with vague and complex marching orders like "I wanna go as a Ron Weasley-Jawa-Ninja-Zombie-Cat!!"

Uhhh... I'll see if they have that costume, honey. But don't be disappointed if you're ahead of the costume industry curve again this year. We may need to make this one ourselves.

So anyway, I've been cruising the online costume shops, and, judging by some of the costumes out there, I have come to the conclusion that American consumers are driving this society into a deep decline.

No. I don't blame the retailers. If there was no demand for an "Isaac the Bartender from the Love Boat" costume, then there would be no supply. Isaac? That's only two steps above Horshack on the "Obscure-Cultural-Reference-o-Meter". Yeah, the model at the costume site pretty much nailed the patented "Isaac-two-handed-double-point", but that only gets you so far. Plan to spend the whole night saying, "No, I'm not that ghost waiter from The Shining who killed his kids! I'm Isaac! From The Love Boat! It was a TV show in the early 80's! Remember? Gopher? Doc? Charo? Koochie-koo? *Sigh* Fine then. You must kill your family Mr.Torrance".

So now, it was either Leo Buscaglia or Spock's brother from StarTrek V that once told me to "share the pain", so I thought I'd spend some time this month sharing with you some of the most inexplicably lame costumes out there. None of this is made-up, sadly.

Car Air Freshener Baby Costume

Okay, just off the top of my head, I have a few questions for the people who would dress their child up like a car air freshener:




1. Why do you hate your child?

2. When did you first realize you hated your child?

3. Have you considered the fact that dressing your child like a car air freshener might be a sign that maybe you aren't ready for parenthood?

4. What terrible and traumatic thing happened to *you* when you were young that makes you lash out by dressing your child as something that is hung from a rearview mirror.

and finally...

5. Your child clearly has no choice in the matter and so can't be blamed for going as a car air freshener for Halloween. But what's *your* excuse?:

No comments: